Privacy, Security and Respondent Rights
All of us at Justason Market Intelligence Inc. (JMI), including our Vancouver Focus® (VF) division, understand that our business success relies on our relationships with our research participants, whether they represent the general population, an employee group, the business community, a customer base, or other respondent group.
We review this policy regularly and update as required.
Under the principles of PIPEDA, an organization is responsible for the protection and fair handling of personal information at all times throughout the organization and in dealings with third parties. The ten principles that form the basis of JMI’s privacy statement are interrelated. JMI’s privacy procedures adhere to the ten principles as a whole.
Principle 1 – Accountability
Under PIPEDA, every organization must designate an individual or individuals who are accountable for privacy compliance. To demonstrate the company’s commitment to taking privacy seriously, JMI’s privacy officer is the firm’s senior-most researcher, Barb Justason. The privacy officer is accountable for overall compliance with PIPEDA.
Principle 2 – Identifying Purposes for Collection of Personal Information
JMI will identify the purposes for which personal information is collected at or before the time the information is collected.
Principle 3 – Obtaining Consent for Collection, Use or Disclosure of Personal Information
The knowledge and consent of an individual are required for the collection and use of personal information.
Principle 4 – Limiting Collection of Personal Information
JMI will limit the collection of personal information to that which is necessary for the purposes identified by JMI. JMI will collect personal information by fair and lawful means.
Principle 5 – Limiting Use, Disclosure, and Retention of Personal Information
JMI will not use nor disclose personal information for purposes other than those for which it was collected, except with the expressed consent of the individual.
Principle 6 – Accuracy of Personal Information
Personal information will be as accurate and complete as is necessary for the purposes for which it is to be used.
Principle 7 – Security Safeguards
JMI will protect personal information by security safeguards appropriate to the sensitivity of the information.
Principle 8 – Openness Concerning Policies and Procedures
JMI will make readily available specific information about its policies and procedures relating to the management of personal information.
Principle 9 – Access to Personal Information
JMI collects personal information only for the purposes of the firm’s research assignments. That information remains personal only while contact information and responses to questions remain linked. Survey responses and contact information remain linked only for our panelists who have agreed to be contacted to complete our surveys. The panel tool is available to our panelists who wish to update their information with us.
Principle 10 – Challenging Compliance
Attn: Privacy Officer
Justason Market Intelligence
Fifth Floor, 1080 Howe St., Unit 503, Vancouver, BC, Canada V6Z2T1
By email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Security Policies and Procedures
Protecting respondent and client data
Justason Market Intelligence (JMI) is dedicated to developing the most secure web-based data collection operations.
JMI rigorously addresses people, process, technology and physical security.
- JMI’s team works hard to deliver secure research administration in our call centre, online, and in-person survey operations.
- All full-, part-time and contract staff sign non-disclosure agreements and are briefed regularly about their responsibilities under that agreement, under Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act (PIPEDA), and under the standards set out by the Marketing Research and Intelligence Association (MRIA).
- At JMI all work routines and processes are secure. We have levels of access, monitoring, backup and recovery procedures to ensure that the data that need to be confidential remain confidential.
- JMI is a corporate member of the MRIA.
- JMI methodically backs up all databases. We guarantee the accuracy and safety of all data in our possession and on our servers.
- Client data is stored on our servers for the duration of our work with a client and for a period of up to one year after. Clients can request to have information removed from JMI servers at any time.
- Access to data, information and system administration is limited by username and password or administrative privileges.
- Vendors to JMI, including data processors, software vendors, and others who require access to client research data or personal information have their own strict privacy policies and sign NDA agreements with JMI.
JMI’s security processes meet high security standards. Technological safeguards to protect electronic personal information include:
- Up-to-date firewalls and anti-virus software;
- Password protected screen savers;
- Email encryption for sensitive communications;
- Secure and password-protected access to online client reporting functions;
- Unique password protected URL for secure viewing online live survey data: JMI will not provide this URL to any other person or entity.
- Client access to survey data is limited to aggregated groups of data only.
- Professional office area is locked.
- All confidential material is shredded by a document destruction service.
Charter of Respondent Rights
Your participation in legitimate marketing, social or public opinion research is very important to us. We value your honest feedback and your time. Your opinions help companies develop new products, make existing ones better, and improve customer service. Your views also assist governments and non-profit organizations in advancing laws and policies that are in the public interest.
Our relationship with you is based on respect, trust and goodwill. When you participate in research conducted by Justason Market Intelligence, or by any other corporate member of the Marketing Research and Intelligence Association (MRIA), you can be assured that:
Article 1: You will always be told the first name of the person contacting you, the research company’s name and the nature of the study.
Article 2: You can verify that the research you have been invited to participate in is legitimate in one of two ways. You can either obtain a registration number and the MRIA’s toll-free telephone number for any research registered with MRIA’s Research Registration System or you can obtain the contact information of the research director who is conducting the study.
Article 3: You will not be sold anything or asked for money.
Article 5: You will be contacted at reasonable times, but if the time is inconvenient, you may ask to be re-contacted at a more convenient time.
Article 6: You are entitled to know the approximate duration of the interview.
Article 7: Your decision to participate in a study, answer specific questions, or discontinue your participation will be respected without question.
Article 8: You will be informed in advance if the interview will be recorded and the intended use of the recording. You may choose not to proceed with the interview if you do not want it to be recorded.
Article 9: You are assured that the highest standards of professional conduct will be upheld throughout all stages of the study.